Happy 25th Birthday to Me!
Yes, that's right, today I turn 25 years old. For those curious about the grand old year of 1982, the following are just a few of the notable things that happened:
- January 8 - AT&T agreed to break up its monopoly over the local phone exchanges (creating the "Baby Bells").
- January 17 - Temperatures drop to record lows on "Cold Sunday", including a drop to -27 °F in Chicago, Illinois (very near where I was born).
- May 2 - The Weather Channel airs on cable for the first time (threw this one in for my girlfriend, she was a Meteorology major in college).
- June 5 - The first Rubik's Cube World Championship is held in Budapest, Hungary.
- July2 - Lawn Chair Larry makes his maiden voyage at 16,000ft on a lawn chair tied to 45 weather balloons.
- August 17 - The first commercial Compact Disc (CD) is produced for release in Germany (it was ABBA's "The Visitors", if you're wondering)
- September 26 - Knight Rider, starring David Hasselhoff, first airs on NBC.
- October 1 - Sony launches the first consumer CD player (model CDP-101).
- December 26 - Time Magazine's "Man of the Year" award is given to the Computer.
Source: Wikipedia page on "1982"